My love of quinoa runs deep.
I jumped on this spiraled grain band wagon shortly after I was put on an elimination diet and quite literally ran out of food that I could consume safely. (More on this in a future post!) It was allergy safe and at a time when cardboard was looking pretty appetizing to me, I happily ate this bland tasting superfood.
After doing my research, I realized that quinoa was the EASIEST ingredient to work with in terms of flavor, not to mention heath benefits like crazy! (High in protein, minerals, antioxidants, provides energy, aids in weight loss, lowers triglycerdies, blood sugar and insulin levels…I’m sure you need more convincing ;)) Quinoa takes on the flavors of whatever you are cooking with meaning it could be paired with any spices or vegetable to pump up the flavor! This beautiful grain works for breakfast, lunch or dinner! I posted below one of my favorite go-to quinoa meals. Just like quinoa… Mexican bowls will always have my heart!
Mexican Quinoa Bowl
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (15oz) can black beans- drained & rinsed
- 1 can (14.5oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn (frozen or canned)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- Diced avocado
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, drizzle in the olive oil. Toss in the garlic and jalapano, heating for 1 minute. Stir frequently.
- Add in the vegetable broth, quinoa, black beans, diced tomatoes, corn, chili powder, cumin, salt & pepper. Bring this to a boil, then cover and reduce heat. Simmer for about 20-15 minutes, making sure the quinoa is cooked all the way through. (You should be able to see the little circle spirals on the grain when it is done.)
- Finally, stir in the lime juice, avocado and cilantro. Enjoy!